SBE 222 History of the Built Environment II
This is the second course in a two course series that covers the history of the built environment in the following climate zones:
- Cold and humid
- Temperate and arid
- Temperate and humid
As a result of successfully completing this course, students should be able to:
- Understand the different factors that have influenced the built environment throughout history in the last set of climatic zones,
- Explore the different vernacular design solutions in buildings and cities in the last three climatic zones,
- Recognize the different uses of landscapes and gardens in different geographic locations throughout history and cities,
- Compare and contrast the different solutions for the built environment according to climate, availability of resources, and socio-economic and political conditions,
- Use iconic examples in the history of the built environment to provide guidance on how to face the multiple and complex challenges that our society face today and in the future, and
- Understand the impacts that important scientific discoveries and ideologies had in the history of the built environment.
This course is offered fully online.