Can students attend the program part-time?
Yes, it is possible to attend on a part-time basis. You will work closely with your Graduate Coordinator and Faculty Advisor to develop a specific part-time schedule.

Can students enter the program in January?
Yes, students can enter the program in January.

Do I need to choose a program concentration?
You do not need to choose a concentration when entering the program. You will start working on concentration courses during your second semester. You may choose one of the three pre-defined concentration areas or may create an independent concentration.

What electives can I take?
Students will be provided a list of approved electives. If a student wishes to take an elective outside of CAPLA, it must be approved by the faculty advisor.

Am I required to complete an internship in order to graduate?
Yes, there is an internship requirement that must be completed in order to graduate.

Do Planning graduate students have an opportunity to study abroad?
Yes, planning students may join architecture and landscape architecture students for summer study abroad opportunities and guided international studies and research projects. Previous international trips have included destinations such as Copenhagen, Prague, Oman, Jordan, and Panama.

What does the School offer in terms of resources for professional development?
The School and the Graduate Planning Society have close a close ties to planning professionals in the region. The Friends of Planning is a group of practicing planners who work closely with the School to create meaningful, professional experiences for students, including internships. In addition, the College has a career day attending by employers in the region. At the University level, opportunities exist to take workshops in resume creation, professional speaking, and interviewing skills.

How do I find out about employment opportunities in the field?
The School receives regular notifications from employers looking to hire Planning graduates and these notices are distributed to students. The Friends of Planning group is another good place to make employment connections. The American Planning Association website lists many planning jobs available around the country.


How do I apply to the graduate program?
You can apply at Click on “Apply now”.

What is required to apply to the UA Master of Science in Planning program?

  • Applicants must have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited university with a cumulative grade point average of 3.0. The Graduate College will also calculate the last 60 units in the event that the GPA is lower than 3.0.
  • Applicants will need to submit three letters of reference, official transcripts from all colleges of universities the student attended, and  a personal statement
  • International students will need to submit TOFEL scores.

What is the application deadline?

Domestic Applicants (US Citizen, Permanent Resident of the US at time of application, or hold Refugee, Asylee, or Jay Treaty status):

  • The application deadline for priority consideration for domestic applicants is January 1, but applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis after this date.
  • Applicants who apply by the January 1 deadline are given priority consideration both for admission and financial aid.
  • The application deadline for Spring semester admission is October 1. 

International Applicants (all those who do not meet conditions of Domestic Applicant):

  • The application deadline for international students is December 15.

What if my GPA is below 3.0?
Applicants that do not meet the required 3.0 GPA can apply as Graduate Non-Degree Seeking. After completion of 12 consecutive semester units of 500 level courses, and a 3.0 GPA or higher, applicants can apply as graduate degree seeking using their graduate GPA.

Who should I contact if I have questions about the application process?
Contact program coordinator Spencer Warmuth at or at 520-621-5443.

I am a foreign student, but I received my bachelor’s degree from the university in the United States. Do I need to take the TOFEL exam?
Students are exempt from the TOEFL or IELTS if the student has completed two years of full-time academic study in the United States, English-speaking Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand or other official English speaking countries at an accredited institution, culminating in the receipt of a bachelor's or graduate degree that is awarded within two years of the term of enrollment. Students must have 48 graded, semester hours of upper division, undergraduate work, or 30 graded, semester hours of graduate work.

Note: If the student has been residing outside the English-speaking country for more than 2 years since completing studies and earning a degree, he or she will be required to submit current TOEFL or IELTS scores as part of the admissions process.

For most information about taking and submitting the TOEFL exam,  click here.

Costs to Attend and Financial Aid

What are the tuition and fees to attend the MS in Planning program?
Current tuition and fees can be found here.

In addition, the College of Architecture, Planning & Landscape Architecture has a $1500 per semester program fee.

What are the tuition and fees to attend a dual degree program?
Current tuition and fees can be found here

Students are responsible for paying 75% of both program fees.

What type of scholarships and financial aid are available?

  • We offer Graduate Tuition Scholarships for eligible first-year students.
  • The University of Arizona and the College of Architecture, Planning, and Landscape Architecture have an array of scholarships available to qualified students. Awards are based on need, merit, program, class year, and/or other specifications.  Students can apply for additional scholarships through Scholarship Universe.
  • Applicants are eligible to apply for federal financial aid through Free Application Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Please visit The Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid for more information.

Am I required to have my own computer or are there computers available for use?
There are computers available in the studio and computer lab, however, they are often used for courses. It is strongly recommended that you bring your own laptop computer to campus. Personal computers must meet specific computer requirements in order to run the necessary software.

I would like to arrange for a visit to campus. How do I make these arrangements?
Please contact the Graduate Academic Advisor, Amy Moraga, at, or at 520-621-9819. She can arrange a tour of our facilities and set up meetings with faculty and students in the planning program.

What is it like to live in Tucson?
Tucson is a welcoming, diverse and family-friendly community surrounded by five majestic mountain ranges. The Tucson basin is the oldest continuously settled area in the United States and boasts a rich cultural heritage. Nationally renowned events such as the Tucson Gem and Mineral Show, All Souls Procession/Day of the Dead and the Tour de Tucson bike race bring visitors from around the world to our city.  You’ll find hundreds of great restaurants, museums, clubs and performance venues throughout the City. The new SunLink Streetcar connects the University of Arizona’s north campus through the main campus, Tucson’s downtown and the Westside Mercado District. Southern Arizona is well known for its abundant outdoor opportunities including hiking, biking, birding, and rock climbing. For more information on living in Tucson, click here