Minor in Architecture History and Theory
The Minor in Architecture History and Theory is designed for those students who are interested in preservation, who are studying to receive an advanced degree in art or architectural history, or are interested in history and/or theory and would like to have such a refelection of this core area of study reflected in their transcripts.
Architectural History / Theory Minor Curriculum
- A minimum of 18 units are required in the minor.
- A minimum of 3 units of University Credit is required in the minor.
- A minimum of 9 upper division units are required in the minor.
- A 2.0 GPA is required for all University Credit in the minor.
1. 9 units must be from the following courses:
- ARC 231 - History + Theory of Architecture I: Early World Architecture OR ARH 201 Survey of Western Art in Society: Prehistoric through Gothic
- ARC 232 - History + Theory of Arch II: Renaissance Through Early Modern World Arch.
- ARC 332 / ARC 332-SA - History + Theory of Architecture III: Modern Architecture OR ARH 325 / ARC 325 – History of Modern Architecture
- ARC 471S / ARC 471-SA - History + Theory of Architecture IV: Contemporary Architecture and Urban Theory
2. 6 units must be from ARC 471X / ARC 471-SA OR an ARH 480 / ARH 480-SA course that contains a substantial architectural component with prior written approval of the History/Theory Stream chair.
3. 3 additional units must come from one of the courses listed below OR from ARC 471X / ARC 471-SA OR an approved ARH 480 / ARH 480-SA course that contains a substantial architectural component with prior written approval of the History/Theory Stream chair OR from another upper-level course that contains a substantial architectural component providing written approval is given by the History/Theory Stream chair prior to taking the course.
ARC 343 / ANTH 403 / NES 403 - Art and Archaeology of Ancient Egypt
ARC 403 / ARH 403 / NES 403 - Art and Architecture of the Islamic World
ARC 471B - Architecture – Principia
ARC 471F - Introduction to Heritage Conservation
ARC 471-SA – History/Theory Seminar Study Abroad
ARC 481E / ARC 481B-SA - Architecture in the Mediterranean
ARH 312 - Survey of Medieval Art and Architecture
ARH 340A / ANTH 340A / CLAS 340A - Introduction to Classical Art and Archaeology
ARH 340B / ANTH 340B / CLAS 340B / CLAS 340B-SA – Intro. to Roman Art and Archaeology
ARH 406A – Spanish Medieval Art and Architecture
ARH 452 – Etruscan Art and Archaeology
ARH 477 / CLAS 457 - Greek Architecture
ARH 484 / CLAS 484 - Roman Art and Architecture
PLG 456 / GEOG 456 – The American City