Robert  Vint, Architect

Vint & Associates Architects  312 E. 6th St. Tucson AZ 85705

http://www.vintarchitects.net

Adjunct Faculty, UA/CAPLA University of Arizona, Tucson

College of Architecture, Planning & Landscape Architecture

 

Bob Vint is a practicing architect with a deep interest in and love for cities. He was educated at the Universities of Chicago and Arizona. After working with firms in Boston and Tucson, Vint established his practice in Tucson in 1993.  He has focused on community design, historic preservation and urban infill projects, including a prototypical mixed-use infill project on a brown-fields site, and the proposed mixed-use Plaza San Agustín in downtown Tucson. He has traveled widely to cities in the US, Europe, Mexico and Cuba. He is fluent in the Spanish language, and has studied the Spanish “Laws of the Indies” (Recopilación de leyes de los reynos de las Indias), the first form-based urban design manual in the Americas. Bob is principal co-author of Southwest Housing Traditions: Design, Materials, Performance published by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development in 2005, which stresses the importance of town planning in the design of housing environments.


Recognitions

  • On Saturday 4/23/16, the Tucson Historic Preservation Foundation is sponsoring a fund-raising tour of six adobe homes, two... Read More
  •  A project featuring a collaboration between SoA Adjunct Lecturer Bob Vint (Urban Design - History and Theory)... Read More
  • In November, the Phoenix Historic Preservation voted to recommend that the controversial David Wright House and... Read More
  • SoA Adjunct Lecturer Bob Vint and his intern, MS.Arch student Kimia Pakfar (2015), are working on... Read More
  • SoA adjunct Lecturer Bob Vint and MS. Arch student Kimia Pakfar (M.Arch 2015) of Vint &... Read More
  • KUAT/TV has produced a mini-documentary about the architecture of Bisbee for which SoA Adjunct Lecturer Bob Vint... Read More
  •  SoA Adjunct Lecturer and restoration architect for San Xavier mission Bob Vint was featured in an AZ... Read More
  • A recently-completed project by SoA Adjunct Lecturer Bob Vint is featured in an article for the online... Read More
  • SoA Adjunct Lecture Bob Vint was interviewed by UANews for a feature story Old Main: The Best of Times ... Read More

Pages

Publications:
Robert Vint's picture

Adjunct Lecturer
Office Location:
Curriculum Vitae

rvint@email.arizona.edu
Faculty member: 

Two duplex housing units = four dwelling units on two lots, located on a principal bike path north of the UA campus. Each two-story dwelling has a private courtyard and roof deck. Walls construction is of Integra (R)  insulating block, floors & roofs are framed with composite truss joists.  Harvested rain water used for irrhgation on site. Each dwelling has roof-top PV solar panels &  solar water heater. Rental housing intended for graduate students and medical residents.

Faculty member: 

A mixed-use residential and commercial infill project located adjacent to the El Presidio Historic District in central Tucson. The project is planned for the vacant parking lot adjacent to the Tucson Museum of Art and the City Water Department. A total of 81 residential units (both walk-up town homes and condominium dwellings in a mid- se structure) are to be built above a two-level parking structure. Commercial space at the ground floor includes a coffee shop/restaurant at Alameda St. and Main Ave, and a corner market at Granada Avenue and Paseo Redondo. This project won the support of the City of Tucson, the El Presidio Neighborhood Association.Status: In progress.

Faculty member: 

Bob Vint served as Historical & Design Consultant to WSM Architects of Tucson for a new facility replacing the aging Tucson Fire Department Station #1. The design combines a new downtown Fire Station No. 1 with offices for Fire Administration and Fire Prevention in a 60,000 sq. ft. two-story building. Fire Central was built on a former parking lot, that historically was a huerto de membrillo [quince orchard] as part of Tucson's oldest neighborhood, Barrio Viejo [built ca. 1860--1890]. 40 years ago during Tucson's "Urban Renewal" much of the historic Barrio was demolished to make way for the Tucson Convention Center. The City of Tucson, not wishing to repeat the mistakes the past, decided that a new fire station should be a good neighbor.The commission resulted from a design competition in which sensitivity to the historic context was a major consideration. As part of integrating the two-story L-shaped structure into the historic neighborhood, a small placita was proposed at the south end of the site, framed by the historic adobe chapel of San Cosme. The new building relates to its setting in massing, texture, scale and color. Parking is provided beneath the structure. Fire Station #1 opens north onto Cushing St. while the office wing turns to the southeast. A bell tower holds the historic "5-Mile Bell," which was used by the TFD in the 19th century when it was an all-volunteer force. Construction is reinforced concrete block with steel roof and floor structure. Steel tube roof framing and concrete foundations and lintels express that this is a contemporary building, given a contextual expression -- that is it blends in with the historic setting, rather than standing out like an alien spaceship landing site, like many unfortunate recent buildings do. Status: completed December 2009. Contractor: Sundt Construction

Faculty member: 

Addition of a new Activity Room, Library and Kitchen to the original 1927 Roy Place-designed Sam Hughes School. Our site master plan was based on a study of the original Roy Place design, revealing that he intended a symmetrical Beaux-Arts composition that had been altered over the decades. by incompatible additions in the late 1940s and 50s. We discoverd that the original connection between the central courtyard and playing fields to the east had breen closed off in 1949. We re-opened this connection by placing the activity room to serve as a secure flow-through space.  Re-opening the center made necessary the additoin of a new library, as the former classroom we removed was in use as an inadequate library. Designed in collaboration with Jody Gibbs, construction documents completed in association with WSM Architects. Tucson Unified School District #1. Status: completed 2007. Contractor:  Lefco

Faculty member: 

A two-story home & studio designed in the Spanish-Islamic mudéjar tradition, with a courtyard and roof terrace..  The courtyard is the largest room in the house, with a painting studio to the north and a clay studio to the south.  The home is located in an historic barrio south of Tucson's downtown.2,200 s.f. net area. Status: completed 2010.   Contractor:  Eric Means

Faculty member: 

Affordable Family Housing on the south side of Tucson: 16 two-story dwellings grouped around a central pedestrian street, with a children's play area at center. The courtyard, irrigated with harvested rainwater, forms a micro-climate -- "the oasis in the desert" -- while each dwelling also has a private walled backyard. Parking is kept to each end of the housing group, with a secure entrance at each end. Thus children can safely go out to play. The site is located beside a major N-S public transit route (S. 6th Ave. Suntran bus), as many tenants are bus-riders. Construction is site-cast tilt-panel concrete, for durability and economy.

Client/Developer: SALT (Southern Arizona Land Trust)

Sponsor/Funding Source: HUD NSP2 Neighborhood Stabilization Program

Faculty member: 

 

A ten-cell residence for the Franciscan Friars of San Xavier. Located just north of, and adjoining, the National Historic Landmark Mission church, the "L" shaped plan defines a central courtyard. Circulation between the cells grouped around the courtyard is by means of a deambulatorio, or covered outdoor walkway, with a breeze-way opening to the northwest corner. This promotres continuous cross ventilation. There is space for a House Chapel, as well common areas (Living, Dining & Kitchen) for the Brothers. Designed in association with Jim Gresham, FAIA.
 
10,000 s.f. gross area.  
Status: completed 2004.  Contractor:  Morales Restoration & Builders
Faculty member: 

 

The proposed Plaza San Agustín envisions a mixed-use residential/commercial Plaza in the heart of downtown. The site is the parking lot across Stone Ave. from St. Augustine's Cathedral (1896). The Plaza will be shaped by the placement of multi-story, mixed-use buildings, with commercial space on the ground floor (shops, cafes, offices) and three level of housing above. The dwellings will be privately owned as town-houses, and each will have a roof terrace or balcony for private outdoor space. Beneath the Plaza will be a three-level underground parking structure with space for 350 cars, providing parking for the commercial space, residences, and additional public functions. In total, 20,000 sq. ft. of commercial space is proposed at ground level, with 90,000 sq. ft. of housing above, totaling 62 dwelling units. The key to bringing downtown back to life is simple: we need people living there.
 
Client: Committee for a Plaza San Agustín (Drs. Bierny & Tanz) and Mayor Walkup's "Back-to-Basics" Downtown Program, 2001.
 
Status: In Progress
Faculty member: 

 

An authentic adobe house designed in the Tucson tradition and located in the historic Barrio Libre district. The design includes a zaguán leading to a courtyard with rooms grouped around these traditional elements, and an adjacent guest house. Two additional affordable housing units are planned for the east side of the site.
 
3,200 s.f. net area. 
 
Status: completed 1997  Contractor:  Eric Means
 
(Included in the U.S. Solar Energy Society's Innovative Home Tour. 1998 & 1999)
Faculty member: