Assistant Research Scientist
Adriana Zuniga-Teran, PhD is an Assistant Research Scientist (continuing-eligible status) at the School of Landscape Architecture and Planning and at the Udall Center for Studies in Public Policy at the University of Arizona. She obtained her PhD in Arid Lands Resource Sciences with a minor in Global Change and holds a MS in Architecture with a concentration in Design and Energy Conservation from the University of Arizona. Adriana completed her bachelor’s degree in Architecture from the Monterrey Institute of Technology and Higher Education in Monterrey, Mexico.
Zuniga’s work has focused mainly at the neighborhood and city scales and examines neighborhood design patterns that affect physical activity, wellbeing, and the use of greenspace. She explores questions related to green infrastructure and urban resilience, environmental justice, water security in cities, groundwater governance, and other environmental issues in arid lands. She teaches courses related to sustainability and history of the built environment for the Sustainable Built Environments degree program. Zuniga has published about 50 peer-reviewed articles, non-peer reviewed book chapters and reports, and blogs for the general public.
- SBE-221 History of the Built Environment I (fall)
- SBE-222 History of the Built Environment II (spring)
- SBE-195A Introduction to Sustainability I (fall)
- SBE-195B Introduction to Sustainability II (spring)
- RED 421/521 Placemaking and Urban Form (spring)
- Zuniga-Teran, A.A.; Stoker, P.; Gimblett, R.H.; Orr, B.J.; Marsh, S.E.; Guertin, D.P.; Chalfoun, N.V. (2019). Exploring the influence of neighborhood walkability on the frequency of use of greenspace. Landscape and Urban Planning, 190. 103609 https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0169204619301884?dgcid=author
- Ward, S., Staddon, C., De Vito, L., Zuniga-Teran, A., Gerlak, A., Schoeman, Y., Hart, A., Booth, G. (2019). Embedding social inclusiveness and appropriateness in engineering assessment of green infrastructure to enhance urban resilience. Urban Water Journal. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/1573062X.2019.1633674
- Zuniga-Teran, A.A. and Gerlak, A.K. (2019). A multidisciplinary approach to analyzing questions of justice issues in urban greenspace. Sustainability, 11, 3055. https://www.mdpi.com/2071-1050/11/11/3055
- Zuniga-Teran, A.A., Staddon C., De Vito, L. Gerlak, A.K., Ward, S., Schoeman, Y., Hart, A., Booth, G. (2019). Challenges for mainstreaming green infrastructure in built environment professions. Journal of Environmental Planning and Management. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/09640568.2019.1605890
- Scott, C.A., Albrecht, T., Routson de Grenade, R., Zuniga-Teran, A.A., Varady, R.G., Thapa, B. (2018). Water security and the pursuit of food, energy, and earth system resilience. Water International. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/02508060.2018.1534564
- Albrecht, T., Varady, R.G., Zuniga-Teran, A.A., De Grenade R., Lutz-Ley A., Martin, F., Megdal, S.B., Meza, F., Ocampo-Melgar, D., Pineda, N., Rojas, F., Taboada, R., Willems, B. (2018). Unraveling transboundary water security in the arid Americas. Water International. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/02508060.2018.1541583
- Staddon, C., Ward, S., De Vito, L., Zuniga-Teran, A., Gerlak, A., Schoeman, Y., Hart, A., Booth, G. (2018). Contributions of green infrastructure to enhancing urban resilience. Environment, Systems and Decisions. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10669-018-9702-9
- Gerlak, A.K.; House-Peters, L.; Varady. R.G.; Albrecht, T.; Zuniga-Teran, A.A.; Cook, C.; Routson de Grenade, R.; Scott, C.A. (2018). Water security: A critical review of place-based studies. Environmental Science and Policy, 82. 79-89. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/322923958_Water_security_A_review_of_place-based_research
- Petersen-Perlman, J.D., Megdal, S.B., Gerlak, A.K. Wireman, M., Zuniga-Teran, A.A., Varady, R.G. (2018). Critical issues affecting groundwater quality governance and management in the United States. Water 10(6), 735; http://www.mdpi.com/2073-4441/10/6/735
- Albrecht, T., Varady, R.G., Zuniga-Teran, A.A., Gerlak, A.K., Staddon, C. (2017). Governing a shared hidden resource: A review of governance mechanisms for transboundary groundwater security. Water Security, Vol. 2 Pp. 43-56. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2468312417300044
- Zuniga-Teran, A.A. ; Orr, B.J.; Gimblett, R.H.; Chalfoun, N.V.; Guertin, D.P.; Marsh, S.E. (2017). Neighborhood design, physical activity, and wellbeing: Applying the Walkability Model. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 14,76: doi:10.3390/ijerph14010076. http://www.mdpi.com/1660-4601/14/1/76
- Zuniga-Teran, A.A. ; Orr, B.J.; Gimblett, R.H.; Chalfoun, N.V.; Marsh, S.E.; Guertin, D.P.; Going, S.B. (2017). Designing healthy communities: Testing the walkability model. Frontiers of Architectural Research. Vol. 6, No. 1. Pp. 63-73. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2095263516300656
- Varady R.G., Zuniga-Teran, A.A.; Garfin, G.M.; Martin, F.; Vicuña, S. (2016). Adaptive management and water security in global context: Definitions, concepts, and examples. Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability special issue “Environmental Change and Assessment” edited by M. Wilder, G. Garfin, and R. Merideth. Vol. 21. Pp. 70-71. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1877343516300719
- Zuniga-Teran, A.A; Orr, B.J.; Gimblett, R.H.; Going, S.B.; Chalfoun, N.V.; Guertin, D.P.; Marsh, S.E. (2016). Designing healthy communities: A walkability analysis on LEED-ND. Frontiers in Architectural Research. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foar.2016.09.004.
- Varady, R.G.; Zuniga-Teran, A.A.; Gerlak, A.K.; Megdal, S.B. (2016). Modes and approaches of groundwater governance: A survey of lessons learned from selected cases across the globe. In special issue “Water Governance, Stakeholder Engagement, and Sustainable Water Resources management,” ed. By S. Megdal, S. Eden, and E. Shamir. Water, 417 (24pp), DOI: 10.3390/w8100417. Online: http://www.mdpi.com/2073-4441/8/10/417/html
- Wilder, M., Aguilar Barajas, I., Pineda Pablos, N., Varady, R., Megdal, S., McEvoy, J., Merideth, R., Zuniga-Teran, A., Scott, C. (2016). Desalination and water security in the US-Mexico border region: Assessing the social, environmental, and political impacts. Water International, 41:5, 756-775, DOI: 10.1080/02508060.2016.1166416. http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/02508060.2016.1166416