Assistant Research Scientist
803 E First St.
Areas of Expertise
- Green infrastructure and environmental justice
- Urban resilience
- Urban design
- Water security
PhD in Arid Lands Resource Sciences, University of Arizona
Master of Science in Architecture - Design & Energy Conservation, University of Arizona
Bachelor of Arts in Architecture, Monterrey Institute of Technology and Higher Education (Mexico)
Adriana Zuniga-Teran, PhD is an Assistant Research Scientist (continuing-eligible status) at the School of Landscape Architecture and Planning and at the Udall Center for Studies in Public Policy at the University of Arizona. Zuniga’s work has focused mainly at the neighborhood and city scales and examines neighborhood design patterns that affect physical activity, wellbeing, and the use of greenspace. She explores questions related to green infrastructure and urban resilience, environmental justice, water security in cities, groundwater governance, and other environmental issues in arid lands. She teaches courses related to sustainability and history of the built environment for the Sustainable Built Environments degree program. Zuniga has published about 50 peer-reviewed articles, non-peer reviewed book chapters and reports, and blogs for the general public.
- SBE-221 History of the Built Environment I (fall), and Microcampus version
- SBE-222 History of the Built Environment II (spring), and Microcampus version
- RED 421/521 Placemaking and Urban Form (spring)
- PLG 497s/597s - Sustainable Urban Development & Design (fall)
- ALRS 595 - Arid Lands Colloquium (spring 2020)
- Crosson, Courtney; Achilli, Andrea; Zuniga-Teran, Adriana; Mack, Elizabeth; Albrecht, Tamee; Shrestha, Padmendra; Boccelli, Dominic; Cath, Tzahi; Daigger, Glen; Duan, Jennifer; Lansey, Kevin; Meixner, Thomas; Pincetl, Stephanie; Scott, Christopher A. (2020). Net Zero Urban Water from Concept to Applications: Integrating Natural, Built and Social Systems for Responsive and Adaptive Solutions. ACS Environmental Science & Technology, Water.
- Zuniga-Teran, A. A., Gerlak, A.K., Mayer, B., Evans, T.P. and Lansey, K.E. (2020). Urban resilience and green infrastructure systems: Towards a multidimensional evaluation. Submitted for inclusion in the Special Issue of Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability – Resilience and Complexity: Frameworks and Models to Capture Social-Ecological Interactions, edited by Christopher Scott, and François-Michel Le Tourneau. Vol. 4. Pp. 42-47.
- Zuniga-Teran, A.A., Mussetta, P. Lutz-Ley, A.N., Diaz-Caravantes, R.E., Gerlak, A.K. (2020). Analyzing water policy impacts on vulnerability: Cases across the rural-urban continuum in the arid Americas. Environmental Development. Special issue organized by the Inter American Institute for Global Change Research.
- Varady, R.G., Gerlak, A.K., Mayer, B.M., Albrecht, T., Lemos, M.C., Zuniga-Teran, A.A., Wilder, M.O., Mukherjee, A., Ernst, K.C. (2020). The exigencies of transboundary water security: Insights on community resilience. Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability, Vol. 44. Pp.74-84. Special Issue: Resilience and Complexity: Frameworks and Models to Capture Social-Ecological Interactions.
- Gerlak, A.K., and Zuniga-Teran, A.A. (2020). Addressing injustice in green infrastructure through socio-ecological practice: What is the role of university-community partnerships? Socio-Ecological Practice Research, 2: 149-159.
- Zuniga-Teran, A.A.; Stoker, P.; Gimblett, R.H.; Orr, B.J.; Marsh, S.E.; Guertin, D.P.; Chalfoun, N.V. (2019). Exploring the influence of neighborhood walkability on the frequency of use of greenspace. Landscape and Urban Planning, 190. 103609.
- Zuniga-Teran, A.A. and Gerlak, A.K. (2019). A multidisciplinary approach to analyzing questions of justice issues in urban greenspace. Sustainability, 11, 3055.
- Zuniga-Teran, A.A., Staddon C., De Vito, L. Gerlak, A.K., Ward, S., Schoeman, Y., Hart, A., Booth, G. (2019). Challenges for mainstreaming green infrastructure in built environment professions. Journal of Environmental Planning and Management.
- Scott, C.A., Albrecht, T., Routson de Grenade, R., Zuniga-Teran, A.A., Varady, R.G., Thapa, B. (2018). Water security and the pursuit of food, energy, and earth system resilience. Water International.
- Albrecht, T., Varady, R.G., Zuniga-Teran, A.A., De Grenade R., Lutz-Ley A., Martin, F., Megdal, S.B., Meza, F., Ocampo-Melgar, D., Pineda, N., Rojas, F., Taboada, R., Willems, B. (2018). Unraveling transboundary water security in the arid Americas. Water International.
- Staddon, C., Ward, S., De Vito, L., Zuniga-Teran, A., Gerlak, A., Schoeman, Y., Hart, A., Booth, G. (2018). Contributions of green infrastructure to enhancing urban resilience. Environment, Systems and Decisions.
- Gerlak, A.K.; House-Peters, L.; Varady. R.G.; Albrecht, T.; Zuniga-Teran, A.A.; Cook, C.; Routson de Grenade, R.; Scott, C.A. (2018). Water security: A critical review of place-based studies. Environmental Science and Policy, 82. 79-89.
- Zuniga-Teran, A.A. ; Orr, B.J.; Gimblett, R.H.; Chalfoun, N.V.; Guertin, D.P.; Marsh, S.E. (2017). Neighborhood design, physical activity, and wellbeing: Applying the Walkability Model. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 14,76: doi:10.3390/ijerph14010076.
- Zuniga-Teran, A.A. ; Orr, B.J.; Gimblett, R.H.; Chalfoun, N.V.; Marsh, S.E.; Guertin, D.P.; Going, S.B. (2017). Designing healthy communities: Testing the walkability model. Frontiers of Architectural Research. Vol. 6, No. 1. Pp. 63-73.
- Varady R.G., Zuniga-Teran, A.A.; Garfin, G.M.; Martin, F.; Vicuña, S. (2016). Adaptive management and water security in global context: Definitions, concepts, and examples. Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability special issue “Environmental Change and Assessment” edited by M. Wilder, G. Garfin, and R. Merideth. Vol. 21. Pp. 70-71.
- Zuniga-Teran, A.A; Orr, B.J.; Gimblett, R.H.; Going, S.B.; Chalfoun, N.V.; Guertin, D.P.; Marsh, S.E. (2016). Designing healthy communities: A walkability analysis on LEED-ND. Frontiers in Architectural Research.