Students interested in adding skills and knowledge about urban planning to their architecture credentials may pursue this objective through the College of Architecture and Landscape Architecture's Accelerated Master's Program. This program allows eligible students enrolled in the B.Arch degree program to begin working toward a second professional degree--a Master of Science in Urban Planning (MSUP)--as early as the fourth year. The MSUP can usually be completed within three semesters of attaining the B.Arch degree
Subsequent to being admitted to the Accelerated Master's Program, architecture students in their fourth and fifth years begin to take graduate courses in their preferred planning curriculum. Twelve of the graduate units earned may be used to count toward both degrees, i.e., these units will meet the B.Arch upper division open elective requirement.
- Prerequisites for admission to the Accelerated Master's Program: UA requirements.
- Completion of 75 undergraduate units at the time of application to the AMP.
- Completion of 90 undergraduate units at the time of admission to the AMP.
- Cumulative GPA of 3.3 in a minimum of 12 undergraduate units earned at the UA.
- Completion or near completion of General Education Requirements.
- Submission of a graduate application and payment of the graduate application fee.
- Demonstration of the maturity necessary for success in an accelerated, highly competitive program.
- Expectation of completing the undergraduate degree within four years. The undergraduate degree requirements must be completed before the student is eligible to have the master's degree awarded.
- Prerequisites for admission to the Accelerated master's Program: Planning requirements.
Undergraduate course in Statistics (3 credits)
Introductory course in Urban, Regional or Environmental Studies (3 credits). These credits will meet 50% of the B.Arch lower division open elective requirement.
GPA of 3.1 based on the last 60 hours of undergraduate course work.
- GRE scores: 1200 minimum for combined verbal and quantitative sections and a minimum score of 3 on the analytical writing section.
- Accelerated Master's Program Curriculum: Years 1-5 (B.Arch).
- Accelerated Master's Program Curriculum: Years 6+ (M.S. Planning).
- Application and Enrollment Instructions for AMP Participants.