Graduate Admissions

CAPLA Building

The College of Architecture, Planning and Landscape Architecture offers five graduate degrees and four graduate certificates.

Prospective graduate students are required to submit application materials directly to the University of Arizona Graduate College. Please follow the procedures described in the application portal. You may access your application as many times as necessary to complete and correct it prior to formal submission. Applications will not be reviewed until all materials have been received.

CAPLA graduate program applications for the 2024-2025 school year open on September 1.

General Graduate Admissions Resources

View a virtual information session or contact us at or to request information on any of our graduate programs, please complete our request for information form.


From the West? Get AZ Resident Tuition Pricing for Select Grad Programs!

If you're from one of 16 Western states or territories, you're now eligible for Arizona resident tuition pricing for the Master of Architecture, MS Architecture, Master of Landscape Architecture and MS Urban Planning.

Learn More About This Pricing Program


 Join Us for an Information Session

We're hosting virtual information sessions throughout the semester. Learn more about the M Arch, MS Arch, MLA, MRED and MS Urban Planning from staff and students. Visit our information session page to find a date that works for you and register:


CAPLA Graduate Applications Open September 1

Applications for College of Architecture, Planning and Landscape Architecture graduate programs will open for the 2024-2025 school year on September 1.

Until then, prepare your application materials per program requirements. We look forward to reviewing your application!

Compare Architecture Master's Programs

Not sure which architecture master's program is right for you? Compare our Master of Architecture and Master of Science in Architecture by degree type, purpose, program length, curriculum, prerequisites, accreditation and career goals.

Peace Corps

Coverdell Fellowships for Returned Peace Corps Volunteers

The University of Arizona offers Coverdell Fellowships to Returned Peace Corps Volunteers enrolled in most CAPLA master's programs. Coverdell Fellows find a robust Peace Corps community at the University of Arizona and in Tucson, and many are CAPLA alumni. Learn more about about the program, including scholarships:

University of Arizona Coverdell Fellowships

Frequently Asked Questions

The following information is provided as a guide to prospective graduate students. Should you have any additional questions please contact

Your application and all application materials must be submitted to the University of Arizona Graduate College.

Applicants must submit the following information to the Graduate College:

  • Application Fee
  • Personal Statement
  • Resume or Curriculum Vitae
  • Letters of Recommendation
  • Transcripts
  • Portfolio (Master of Landscape Architecture, Master of Real Estate Development and Master of Science in Urban Planning are exempt)

International Students must also provide:

  • Financial Guarantee
  • Proof of English Language Proficiency

Applicants to the Master of Architecture and Master of Science in Architecture must submit a portfolio as a part of their application materials. Applicants should upload multiple pieces of work in a single pdf document.

A portfolio is not required for the Master of Landscape Architecture, Master of Real Estate Development or Master of Science in Planning programs. 

The portfolio should be an exhibition of material indicating your creative abilities and should be coherently presented in a clear and concise format. The portfolio should communicate your graphic proficiency, design composition and communication skills, and/or environmental sensibility. Submitted materials may be products from design studios, professional work, creative or expository writing, built work or any other material that indicates your professional potential. Work that is your own creation (as opposed to co-produced artifacts) is of particular interest. When a piece of work is the result of a team effort, you should clearly indicate your contribution. Please also indicate the date of creation and the approximate length of time devoted to the effort.

Your application fee depends on the type of program you are applying to and your residency status. For up to date information on application fees, please visit the Application Fees page on the Graduate College website. 

Most graduate students begin their studies at CAPLA in the fall semester, although we accept applications throughout the school year and will, on occasion, admit students for the spring semester. The application opens on September 1 and the deadline for priority consideration for domestic applicants is January 31; review of all applications submitted after this date will occur on a rolling basis.

Applicants who speak English as a second language are required to submit TOEFL scores unless they have completed at least two academic years of full-time study or have received a bachelor's or higher degree at a postsecondary academic institution in which English is the spoken tongue and medium of instruction. TOEFL results are valid for two years only. Only scores of 79 iBT, 26 on the spoken English subtest or greater are acceptable. The University of Arizona Center for English as a Second Language offers full-time English-language training for students who have not attained an acceptable score on their TOEFL.

Your questions: answered.

Our student ambassadors are here to answer any questions you may have.