American Institute of Architecture Students (AIAS)
AIAS is an independent, 501(c)(3) nonprofit and student-run organization that is more than just a club. This grassroots association is a cooperative between thousands of students in North America (of all ages and academic degrees) committed to helping each other. It provides a sense of community and a forum for share differing views. The AIAS is also a professional organization that is the official voice of architecture students.
The mission of the AIAS is:
- To promote excellence in architecture education, training and practice. We celebrate our membership in several ways- one way is that members of the AIAS have the opportunity to publish their work in Crit, the Journal of the AIAS, which is the only international journal devoted to the work and critical thoughts of architecture students.
- To foster an appreciation of architecture and related disciplines. We host an annual convention, FORUM, which provides students with the opportunity to learn about the issues facing architectural education and the profession, to meet students and professionals with common interests, and to interact with some of today’s leading architects and designers.
- To enrich communities in a spirit of collaboration. Through the Freedom by Design™ program, we are organizing our members to be good citizens in their communities.
- To organize students and combine their efforts to advance the art and science of architecture. We serve as the sole student voice in the decision making process of such organizations as The American Institute of Architects (AIA), Association of Collegiate Schools of Architecture (ACSA), and National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB).
Get involved! Send us your stories, your videos, your suggestions, and sign up! The more you engaged in AIAS in competitions, webinars, reading and submitting for CRIT, attending events like Grassroots and FORUM, participating in your Freedom By Design Program, the more prepared you will be for your life as an architect, as a designer, as a citizen of the planet!
AIAS Freedom by Design
What do we live for, if it is not to make life less difficult for each other?
— George Eliot
Freedom by Design, the AIAS community service program, utilizes the talents of architecture students to radically impact the lives of people in their community through modest design and construction solutions. Vital modifications are made to enhance the homes of low-income and disabled individuals by addressing their struggles with everyday tasks such as bathing, ascending stairs and opening doors. Our priority is improving the safety, comfort and dignity of the home’s occupants.
2020-2021 Executive Board
- President - Ally Kwan: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Vice President - Lydia Roberts: email@example.com
- Treasurer - Nik Altamura: firstname.lastname@example.org
- FBD Director - Mike Racioppi: email@example.com
- Public Relations Director - Jasmin Guzman: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fundraising Director - Anna Neal: email@example.com
- Social Director - Abi Denninghoff: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mentorship Coordinator - Kaya Orona: email@example.com
- Historian - Yaqoub Hasan: firstname.lastname@example.org
- NCARB Student Advisor - Rachael Varin: email@example.com
Past President - Brooke Sands: firstname.lastname@example.org
Faculty Advisor: Oscar Lopez, Lecturer in Architecture