GreenWorks’s work in Oak Harbor, Washington began with the renovation of the Oak Harbor Clean Water Facility. Since the facility is located within Windjammer Park, funds from the renovation were also allocated to develop an integration plan for the park, which GreenWorks was asked to prepare. The team led the design effort for Windjammer Park Integration Plan by working closely with the City of Oak Harbor and the Community Advisory Group. GreenWorks presented program elements at the first CAG meeting. With the feedback gathered at the meeting, the team developed three design options representing an array of desired elements. During the process, the team conducted two in-person open houses and an online open house to solicit comments from the public on the three options, assisting in determining a preferred concept.
The Windjammer Park Integration Plan is a long-term plan that integrates existing and new program elements into this 28.5-acre waterfront park. The park includes a popular RV site, playground, lagoon, trail network and waterfront access. The final concept included a renovation of the swimming lagoon, improved pedestrian walking trails, reconfigured parking lots, a new events plaza and a splash park outside the facility, as well as a performance stage, new playgrounds and multi-use fields. The Windjammer Park Plan was implemented in segments over time, according to a phasing plan developed by GreenWorks to guide the future programming of the park. The integration plan was adopted by City Council in May 2016, construction began in 2017, and the park opened in Summer 2019.
Awards and Exposure
- LEED Gold Certified
- 2020 Best Project - Water/Environment — Engineering News Record - NW
- 2020 Grand Award — Washington Association of Landscape Professionals
- 2020 Award for Engineering Excellence — ACEC National
- 2019 Recognition for Innovative and Sustainable Water Infrastructure — US Environmental Protection Agency
- 2020 Excellence in Engineering Award — American Council of Engineering Companies - WA Chapter
- 2019 Award for Innovation and Achievement in Sustainability — Northwest Construction Consumer Council
- 2019 Excellence in Masonry Awards - Government and Public — Masonry Institute of Washington
- 2019 Excellence in Concrete Construction Awards — Washington Aggregates and Concrete Association
- 2019 Project of the Year - Environment — American Public Works Association, Washington Chapter
- 2019 Project of the Year - Environment — American Public Works Association, National
Click a thumbnail below to view a larger image and begin slideshow: