School of Landscape Architecture and Planning
Areas of Expertise
- Master of Landscape Architecture, The University of Arizona
- BS in Environmental Studies, Florida State University
Erik Schmahl is a lecturer and designer whose landscape practice draws inspiration from garden construction craft, contemporary art and biogeography. Erik’s background in environmental studies and fine art coalesced in landscape architecture at the University of Arizona, where he received his MLA.
Erik has worked on dusty backcountry trail crews in the California wilderness for the Bureau of Land Management, on large-scale civic infrastructure projects as a designer at AHBE Landscape Architects and on an eclectic array of art installations and commercial and residential projects as a design lead at TERREMOTO in Los Angeles. In 2019 Erik studied traditional garden craft at the Portland Japanese Garden’s International Japanese Garden Training Center.
Erik is the owner of One Big Yard, a design office based in Tucson, Arizona.
- ARC 101 Foundation Studio
- ARC 131 Design and the Environment
- LAR 102 Introduction to Landscape Architecture Studio
- LAR 215 Digital Media Skills and Tech
- LAR 401 Design Studio V
- LAR 456 Working Drawings
- LAR 610 Design Studio III
- Godshall, D., Schmahl, E., and Webb, S. "We Dance with New Moves to Songs of the Past." Ground Up Journal, March 2020, pp. 64-69.